TechIsCool’s Webblog

Just Blogging about the World and My Experiences

GrailsStarter Encountered an Error.

Posted by TechIsCool

If you like me sometimes your working on a project that has multiple versions of grails. In this case I was working on a project that had 3.2.7 and 3.4.4 My current application needs 3.4.4 but when running which grails. It returned 3.2.7 After checking the PATH variable I found that there was a symlink connected /usr/bin/grails to /opt/grails-3.2.7/bin/grails. After Adjusting it to /opt/grails-3.4.4/bin/grails. I encounted this nice and cryptic message.

After poking around the internet for far to long I found that I was missing a symlink for

/usr/bin/startGrails which was still symlinked to /opt/grails-3.2.7/bin/startGrails after linking it to  /opt/grails-3.4.4/bin/startGrails everything started to work.


I hope this helps someone since the stackoverflow post did not work for me.

Icinga 2.3 Dashes are no longer permitted

Posted by TechIsCool

In Icinga 2.3 Dashes are no longer permitted in identifier names (as their semantics are ambiguous) this cause a bit of a headache for me since a pile of files had dashes.

I manually updated my commands.conf file since it was different from all the other files and then I ran

perl -p -e 's/(vars.)*-(?=.*=)/_/g' $(find -name "*.conf" -type f)

This shows what its going to do. If you want to run in place change

-p to -pi

I hope this helps someone

OpenLRS-ng Taranis Configuration with Telemetry

Posted by TechIsCool

So I have been working on trying to get my new openLRSng modules (Orange TX 100mw and Orange RX 100mw) to talk with each other and my Taranis. From everything I read it should work after some programing. What I have found is this was harder than I expected mostly due to the use of the dtr pin on a serial adapter that is being used to reset the device for programing. Since this is a ATmega168p I just programmed it using my AVR Dragon. This worked except to get into the configuration I had to toggle the reset from within Atmel Studio. The next challenge was trying to the telemetry functioning correctly.

Things I have learned from this experience and I hope you don’t have to.

Build a Serial Inverter for the Taranis inside the openLRS-ng TX

  1. Link to Diagram

Correct Configuration for Naze32, openLRS-ng, and Taranis


  1. TX is now on RC Pin 6, RX is now on RC pin 5
    • NOTE: You can use Pin 8 and 7 if telemetry_port = 0
  2. Config Settings
    1. feature softserial
    2. set softserial_1_inverted = 0
    3. set telemetry_provider = 0
    4. set telemetry_port = 1
    5. set softserial_baudrate = 9600
    6. save


  1.  Serial baudrate = 9600
  2. Data rate = 56700
  3. Enable Telemetry = Yes – FrSky
  4. Save to EEPROM


  1. Edit Model
    1. Model Setup (2/12)
      1. Internal RF
        1. Mode = OFF
      2. External RF
        1. Mode = PPM
        2. Channel Range = CH1-8
        3. PPM frame = 22.5ms 300u –
    2. Telemetry (12/12)
      1. Telemetry Type = FrSky D

Open of the weirdest issues I found was the Taranis kept getting some of the telemetry packets but they just seemed to be flaky. After about an hour of playing with it and a forum post I found this.

  1. To avoid the telemetry loss / acquired message, disable the “internal module”. They share the telemetry bus and thus you will get telemetry streams mixed if they are both enabled. [1]

I hope that this give just a little bit more insight into configuring the openLRS-ng with the Taranis and Naze32. I would like to also thank kha for his work on the project and helping me through these problems.

VMware vCenter vSphere-Client Error #2048

Posted by TechIsCool

vCenter Appliance was throwing this error and I have spent to much time trying to diagnose it when its something really simple. I have a DNS name for my vCenter Appliance configured but I was still using the Self Signed Certificate. So when I browsed to it did not work but when I browsed to it did.


Below is the error message that did not resolve for me when I tried to google for it.

An internal error has occurred – [SecurityErrorEvent type=”securityError” bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text=”Error #2048″].

Reloading the client is recommended, so as to clear any problems left by this error.

Click Yes to reload the vSphere Web Client?


Hope this helps someone.

AtmelStudio 6 Windows 8 AVR Dragon Debug

Posted by TechIsCool

I have been working with getting Atmel Studio 6 to actually work in Windows 8 it seems to be a bit more picky then Windows 7 in terms of actually being able to debug. So to get the AVR Dragon to actually install you have to update the drivers that are located For

Windows 8 32bit: “C:\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel USB\usb32\windrv6.inf” or
Windows 8 64bit: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Atmel USB\usb64\windrv6.inf”

After that worked I found out that the avrdbg.exe does not launch correctly when Studio launches to get around this you need to start avrdgb.exe via the command line before launching avr studio.

1. Launch avrdbg from command prompt.
2. Start AVR studio. Go to Tools | Options | Debugger | AVR debugger , and set “AVR debugger port” to 4711.
3. Wait for avrdbg to come up.
4. Restart AVR studio.

Older Posts »